Natural Therapy Facts
Skeptics often repeat myths and misconceptions about natural healing without taking the time for actual research. Below we address myths regarding the placebo effect, the myth of a lack of scientific studies and many others.
Homeopathy, Flower Essences and Cell Salts
Myth: Homeopathy, Flower Essences and Cell Salts were not developed by real doctors or scientists.
Fact: All were developed by people who were doctors, scientists and homeopaths. They were doctors and scientists first and then became homeopaths.
- Homeopathy Dr. Samuel Hahnemann M.D./Chemist/Homeopath
- Flower Essences Dr. Edward Bach Physician/Surgeon/Bacteriologist/Pathologist/Homeopath
- Cell Salts Dr. Wilhelm Schuessler M.D./Homeopath/Physiological Chemist/Physicist
Jin Shin Jyutsu
Myth: Jin Shin Jyutsu is not accepted by western medicine doctors.
Fact: False. Doctors in hospitals have been treating with Jin Shin Jyutsu for years. See video here.
Cell Salts (Biochemic Therapy)
Myth: Cell salts are made of salt.
Fact: No, they are inorganic minerals, also known as Biochemic Tissue Salts. Cell Salts are the vital mineral constituents of the body and are the nutritional foundation for the body’s enzyme activities and energy cycles. The 12 main cell salts found in every cell of the body are:
Myth: Cell Salts the same as homeopathic remedies?
Fact: No, they do not follow the rule of similarity as in homeopathy, but they are prepared in the Homeopathic manner in order to provide bio-availability. They are absorbed through the Buccal mucosa and/or sub-lingual tissue which enables for direct entry to the blood stream and the availability to cells. Click here for detailed information.
Myth: Flower Essence Therapy is similar to Aromatherapy.
Fact: They are not the same thing. Aromatherapy utilizes plant aromatics. It is the smell or scent that is used as a form of aroma- therapy. Flower essence remedies have virtually no scent. They are prepared from pure water in which flowers have been infused. What is preserved is the “energy signature” of that particular bloom. It is this subtle vibrational pattern, not the scent, which holds the therapeutic value of flower essences and brings emotions into balance.
Myth: Homeopathic remedies are home remedies.
Fact: False. Homeopathic remedies are FDA approved and manufactured by pharmaceutical companies.
Myth: Like herbs, homeopathic remedies can interfere or cause negative effects when taken with some prescription drugs.
Fact: False. Homeopathic remedies do not work at the biochemical level but at an energetic one so there is no interference with drugs.
Myth: Homeopathy is unscientific.
Fact: Homeopathy is supported scientifically by clinical data and randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled trials.
- 6 year study of 6,544 patients: Click here for study
- 493 patients studied: Click here for study
- Homeopathy is effective according to Swiss Federal Report
- Pneumonia Statistics
- Conventional Medicine: 33,148 patients, 4,541 deaths = 13.7% mortality rate (JAMA 1996; 275: 134-141)
- Homeopathy: 25,213 patients, 866 deaths = 3.4% mortality rate (Dr. Saine)
Myth: Homeopathy only has a placebo effect.
Fact: Homeopathy has shown to be effective on infants and animals. The placebo effect is not possible with these two groups.
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial on severe sepsis: Click here for report.
- Homeopathic treatment of children with ADHD: Click here for report.
Myth: Homeopathy is witchcraft, a cult or religion.
Fact: False. Homeopathy was developed by a physician/chemist. A religion or cult requires “belief”. Homeopathy is based on laboratory studies and clinical results, not the requirement to “believe” in order for it to be effective. There may be some practitioners that espouse a “spiritual” side to homeopathy, but they are not the majority of homeopaths and their own personal beliefs have nothing to do with the creation and scientific practice of homeopathy.
Myth: Homeopathy involves crystals, astrology, pendulums or machines.
Fact: False. An individual homeopath may include these methods in their own practice, but such devices or techniques have nothing to do with the field of homeopathy. Most homeopaths will use relevant medical and psychological history to determine the correct specific remedy for the patient.
Myth: Homeopathic remedies are not safe for children.
Fact: False. Homeopathic remedies are the safest way of treating children. They are gentle, safe and effective without any side effects whatsoever. They are very effective on developmental problems (cutting teeth, walking, talking, poor weight gain, frequent colds, fears, food sensitivities and respiratory or digestive problems.)
Myth: Homeopathy can be self-administered by merely reading books.
Fact: Each case has to be evaluated for its own worth before administering any remedy. In homeopathy, there are multiple remedies for the same symptoms. It takes a trained homeopath to accurately determine the best possible remedy. Two people with the same symptoms often receive different remedies, yet both people receive relief.
Research Papers & Studies:
The evidence of benefit of homeopathic medicines as a leading sports medicine all throughout the world is well established in this partial list of research studies published in peer-reviewed international medical journals.
THE CASE FOR HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE: Historical & Scientific Evidence (link to article)
by Dana Ullman, MPH, CCH
Randomized controlled trials of homeopathy: examining the evidence
- Research on multiple topics
- Use of Arnica to relieve pain
- Treatment of chronic low back pain
- Respiratory Diseases
Clinical trials in the treatment of respiratory allergies show homeopathy to be effective:
Michael Frass, MD
Dana Ullman, MPH
“Homeopathic doses of specific allergens or individually-selected homeopathic constitutional medicines have been shown to be effective in the treatment of various respiratory allergies, including patients suffering from hay fever, allergic rhinitis and asthma.”
(Triple Blind Studies, Double-Blind Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial, Systematic Reviews & Meta Analysis, Evidence-base)
Famous Quotes About Homeopathy:
Andrew Weil, M.D.
“Your body can heal itself. It can do so because it has a healing system. If you are in good health, you will want to know about this system, because it is what keeps you in good health and because you can enhance that condition. If you or people you love are sick, you will want to know about this system, because it is the best hope for recovery.”
C. Everett Koup, M.D.
"I can't remember a time when I didn't want to be a doctor. The doctors I knew as a very young child must have helped to plant the desire in me, when I was as young as five or six. One homeopathic physician, Dr. Justice Gage Wright, was a great model."
"Homeopathy cures a larger percentage of cases than any other method of treatment and is beyond doubt safer and more economical and the most complete medical science."
"There have been two great revelations in my life: The first was bebop, the second was homeopathy."
Athletes who use homeopathy:
- David Beckham - David used homeopathy for a broken foot just prior to the 2002 World Cup.
- Paul O'Neill - New York Yankee
- Pat Riley - NBA Basketball Coach
- Boris Becker - Tennis Champion
- Martina Navratilova - Tennis Champion
- Annabel Croft - Tennis Champion
- Kelly Slater - Surfer
- Arnie Kander - Strength and conditioning coach for the NBA Detroit Pistons
- Nancy Lopez - Golf Champion
- Jose Maiea Olazabal - Golf Champion
- Marko Pantelic - Serbian Soccer Player
- James Ellington - British Olympic Sprinter
- Linford Christie - 1992 Barcelona Olympic Sprint Champion
Sports Doctors who use homeopathy
- Dr. Peter Billigmann, Sports doctor and head of the Koblenz Institute for Performance Diagnostics and Sports Medicine
- Dr. Philippe Lageyre, sports doctor to rugby teams
- Dr. Jean-Marcel Ferret, doctor to the French Soccer Team, 1993 - 2004
Celebrities who use or have used homeopathy:
- Paul McCartney - "I can't manage without homeopathy. In fact, I never go anywhere without homeopathic remedies."
- Mariel Hemingway - "I use nothing but homeopathic remedies, for my girls as well."
- John D. Rockefeller - John D. Rockefeller lived to the ripe old age of 98 and was known to have his homeopath often travel with him. He said that homeopathy is "a progressive and aggressive step in medicine."
- Mark Twain - "The introduction of homeopathy forced the old school doctor to stir around and learn something of a rational nature about his business. You may honestly feel grateful that homeopathy survived the attempts of the allopaths to destroy it."
- Lindsay Wagner - "If I was not an actress, I would be a homeopathic doctor."
- Yehudi Menuhin - “Homeopathy is the safest and more reliable approach to ailments and has withstood the assaults of established medical practice for over 100 years”
- Tina Turner - Tina Turner looks about thirty-six, and her skin is flawless. She does not deprive herself. She sips wine at dinner, does not diet, does not take vitamins. If she's feeling particularly stressed, she consults a homeopathic doctor.
- Cindy Crawford - “I also turn to homeopathic remedies for the treatment of indigestion, travel sickness, insomnia and hay fever just to name a few. Homeopathy offers a safe, natural alternative that causes no side effects or drug interactions.”
- Kim Cattrall
- Catherine Zeta-Jones
- JD Salinger
- Prime Minister Tony Blair
- Ashley & Naomi Judd
- Olivia Newton-John
- Charles Dickens
- Louisa May Alcott
- Susan B. Anthony
- Daniel Webster
- Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Jackson Pollock
- W.C. fields
- Presidents James Garfield & William McKinley
- Calcium Fluoride
- Calcium Phosphate
- Phosphate of Iron
- Potassium Chloride
- Potassium Phosphate
- Potassium Sulphate
- Magnesium Phosphate
- Sodium Chloride
- Sodium Phosphate
- Sodium Sulphate
- Silica Oxide
- Calcium Sulphate