Before beginning any exercise program, please consult with your doctor or personal trainer.
Exercise is crucial for good health. Some of the benefits include:
- Overall body strength and coordination.
- Better health to all body systems (circulatory, respiratory etc.)
- Improves moods
- Good muscle tone
- Maintains bone mass
- Regulates weight
- More flexibility and less injuries as you age
Some easy to follow guidelines for exercise are:
1. Walk everyday. If you can’t work it in before work or after work, walk on your breaks, even if only for 10 minutes, as it goes a long way in promoting good circulation and muscle tone. Choose something you enjoy doing so you look forward to it. If exercise becomes a chore it can actually reduce some of the benefits. Our thoughts affect our physiology much more than they are given credit for.
2. Muscle resistance (strength training) 2-3 times per week. Be sure you get expert advice from a certified personal trainer on how much weight is appropriate to lift for your frame and muscle mass. In addition, get instruction on proper form or you can cause damage to muscles, tendons and ligaments.
3. Include stretching exercises a minimum of 2-3 times per week. Again get expert advice on how to properly stretch or you can cause damage to your body.
We recommend Tai Chi as it also helps your mind and body heal as you get the other benefits of exercise. For more information click here.